Bathroom Vanity Facelift


IMG_2149.jpg

Let's talk about how we got from here.... 

To here using the SAME CABINET

It truly wasn't difficult- though you will need power tools. 

SUPPLIES:

1 Builder Grade Cabinet

Pressboard

1x2 boards (I used 2 8 foot pieces)

2x4 (for the legs)

Finishing nails

Table Saw

Miter Saw

Paint


We uninstalled the cabinet in the bathroom and took it out to the garage to remove the doors and panel drawers. SAVE THOSE DOORS. I reused the hinges on them for my new doors. 

I unscrewed the small wood pieces that created the faux drawer panels and sanded the front.

IMG_4912.JPG

My goal was to make the cabinet look more modern- like what I had been finding online but didn't want to spend $$$ for.

To get this look, I wanted to fill in the toe kick area of the cabinet and make it flush with the front. For my cabinet, I was able to fill it in perfectly with 1 2x4 and a couple of pieces of 1x2s.

IMG_4929.JPG

I topped it off with leftover toe kick from our Kitchen. I could have also used the origional toe kick installed with this cabinet but chose to use our kitchen one because it didn't have wood grain I would have to sand off. I used wood glue to secure it in place.

Up next while the glue dried... the new doors!

I measured how large I wanted the doors to be and cut some press board to size. Then, I ripped the 1x2s down the middle using the table saw. I tried to lay the 1x2s down without cutting them in half and they looked super chunky. I wanted something thinner and sleeker- 

Before officially attaching my 1x2s, I sanded the face of the pressboard. This made it easy to get into what would shortly be a corner when I nailed down the wood pieces. I used finishing nails and wood glue to secure my boards in place.

The design inspiration for the cabinet doors came from our kitchen. 

Look at them! Practically twins!

The last piece was to create new legs for the vanity. I took 1x2s and cut a half inch off from the sides and then cut a tapered angle. I wish I took pictures of this piece but alas I didn't. Here's a drawing instead:

To install the legs, Phil made me some pocket screw holes to save the face of the legs and we popped them on.

That's the last of the construction! 

I did about 4 coats of oil-based paint (durability and finish were my main drivers for using it).

On to the countertop

I wanted a wood countertop because I felt like the room was missing a warm tone. Too much black and white and it would get to feeling sterile. I researched butcherblock countertops but since I only needed 34 inches long, everything was wayyy too long and at least $100. (IKEA was $100..everything else was more). I was at Floor & Decor for the tile and swung by the unfinished hardwood section.

 

I found unfinished stair treads! Close to the size we needed and only $20 at our local store. Online seems to be a little more expensive. I bought 2 of these and glued them together. 

Once it was dry, I sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded. FINALLY it was time to seal the 'counter'. I used 4 coats of polyurethane to thaw any water drops getting on the wood. We used the jigsaw to cut a hole for the sink and then sealed everything in with silicone caulk.

The result, I think is BEA-U-TIFUL.